Personal injury lawyers represent people who are bringing suits against others who have caused them personal damage. They may also represent those who are being charged with personal injury suits. When looking for a personal injury lawyer, there are several things to consider. These include:
• How much experience the attorney has representing plaintiffs in personal injury lawsuits.
• How much experience the attorney has representing defendants in personal injury lawsuits. (if you are the defendant)
• How much trial experience the attorney has (personal injury suits are typically trial cases)?
• Attorneys knowledge of medical diagnoses and personal injuries.
• Attorneys knowledge of negligence law and torts.
Make a list of important points to research
• Reputation: Does the attorney have a good reputation in the community? You can start your research online at lawyers.com. This this site gives lawyer ratings, what you should expect as far as cost and other pertinent information about hiring a personal injury lawyer.
• Specialization: Make sure the attorney specializes in personal injury law. Do they represent plaintiffs or defendants? Do they specialize within the area of personal injury? For example, if you have been injured by a defective product, make sure the attorney has had experience with product defect litigation.
• Disciplinary Record: It is always important to check for disciplinary action that has been taken against an attorney in the past. You can usually check this by going to the states bar website, and entering the attorney’s name or registration number, and you will see if there has ever been disciplinary action taken against the attorney.
• History of Success: Look at the attorney’s history of winning decisions; you obviously want to hire an attorney with a winning record.
Get Personal References
Ask friends and associates for references. Upon receiving specific references, complete the same research recommended above. These people will typically have a good record and a good reputation for trustworthiness. Since 1990, Siegfried and Jensen, has been helping people throughout Utah who have suffered injuries and death caused by car accidents, truck accidents, medical malpractice, defective drugs, dog bites, defective product injury and other types of personal injury cases.
When you have a list of potential candidates, call and talk to them. Ask pertinent questions. Get a feel for their personality. See how open they are to answering your questions. You can also call your state bar association and ask specific questions about attorneys. They may give you numbers to call for referrals.
When you have narrowed your list down to just three or four candidates, schedule personal interviews, to speak with each attorney. Have your list of questions about how they can help you, and how they will represent you in hand. This will give you an upfront view of the person who will be representing you. When you have finished the interviews, compare the pluses and minuses of each person, and make your final choice.